[islandlabs] How to: Play Guitar Hero with a Real Guitar

Peter Williams petertw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 14:30:18 EDT 2009

some more thoughts on the non-hex-pickup version of the guitar project:

If you hold down a single string, it's easy to determine which fret &
string are touching by putting a voltage on the pick, and measuring
voltage on the strings and frets. (Except maybe when you pick it might
cause the string to temporarily contact other frets; we'll have to try
to find out.... Also, most electric guitars have metal bridges so all
the strings are in electrical contact with each other, but we can try
with an acoustic.)

If you hold a chord, however, most strings become interconnected
through the frets so it's much harder to determine which fret the
currently plucked string is contacting, or even which string is being
plucked. But maybe we can measure the resistance to determine which
string & fret are closest to the pick? If we could somehow increase
the resistance of the contact between string and fret that might help.

It will be fun to try anyway... :)

In the end we might have to build our own fretboard with multi-piece
frets (6 sensors per fret) so that the voltage doesn't carry from one
string to the next

peter