[islandlabs] Meeting Sept 23rd, 2009

Burns, William burns at cshl.edu
Thu Sep 24 10:41:21 EDT 2009

Our meeting consisted mostly of a discussion of project lists.

Here's what I'm aware of for project lists:

Johnathan
1) advertisement in window
2) Peggy LED board
3) Media server
4) Wiki or wiki alternative

Bill
1) will sponsor balloon_to_near_space (If anyone is willing to "own" the project + do the work)
2) H-Bridge motor-driver (for use w/ Arduino)
3) Turn blinkey-light chaser circuit into an audio circuit to drive a "corn-starch" speaker?

Lori + Casey:
1) Curtains w/ "Yo-Yos"

AFAIK, there were no takers for the balloon to near-space project.
Let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Johnathan has hardware for a wiki, but needs to "find" a static IP to use w/ it.
Victor confirms that he *should* have a record of galaxy static IPs in his host list, but he also seemed grumpy/suspicious about the need for a static IP not being "work related".
He didn't say that he'd send Johnathan the IP info, but there's no "real" reason for him not to.
If Island-Labs isn't able to get a static IP, I can offer space, bandwidth and a static IP at CSHL.

Some work was done on the "angry robot" posters.
I think there was a "chemistry" version and a "cooking" version. Maybe a "sewing" version?

Personally, I think that we should try to use these to promote more workshops, but we need more good/simple workshop idea.
One idea mentioned was a cooking event. (ice-cream flambe?)
note: I've got a really cool blender.

Some work was done on the "solar flashlight".
Here's the math I did in case anyone's interested.

MATH: 2 BUTTON BATTERIES W/ 1 "BASIC" LED
2.8V - 1.8V LED = 1V
V=I*R
12=.01*R
R=12/.01
R=1200 Ohms

MATH: 12-VOLT SUPPLY W/ 2 "BASIC" LEDs:
12V - 3.6V (2 LEDs)= 8.4 V
8.4V/.01 Amps
R=840 Ohms

The resistor actually in use:
Gr Blu Br:
5  6  0 Ohms

*however* it turns out that these LEDs were color-changing LEDs, that want a higher current and voltage.
(We don't have specs on-hand for our parts) Possibly 30mA @ ~3V?

This circuit probably needed a 200 or 300 Ohm resistor.
The latest plan is/was to double-up on the solar panels instead of changing the resistor.
(A larger capacitor couldn't hurt either)

RESISTOR COLOR CODES
0 Black
1 Brown
2 Red