[islandlabs] Fwd: Friday 2 April 2010 Student and Startup Hackathon NYC

Tony Biondo tonyb at tonybox.net
Thu Apr 1 15:00:20 EDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jay Sulzberger <secretary at lxny.org>
Date: Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 2:38 PM
Subject: Friday 2 April 2010 Student and Startup Hackathon NYC

Hackathon NYC will start 6:00 pm Friday 2 April 2010 in

 Room 109
 Courant Institute of Mathematics,
 251 Mercer St
 Island of the Manahattoes

Already over 150 students and 18 startup companies have signed up
to take part.

This Hackathon will run for a full 26 hours.

Food will be provided to keep up the strength of the hackers.

Note that only officially registered students may take part as
officially registered hackers of Hackathon NYC.

The main Web page for this gathering is

 http://hackny.org

Below is the Official FAQ for Hackathon NYC.

Jay Sulzberger <secretary at lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

 what="official Hackathon NYC FAQ"
 from="http://hackny.org/hack/2010/03/hackathon-faq"
 diction="Note answer to last question."
 edits="images, side material removed">

 Hackathon FAQ
 Published: March 17, 2010

 We've had several questions about the hackathon, here are our
 best answers. Let us know at springhack at hackny.org if you have
 any questions we've missed!

 What is a hackathon?

 A hackathon is an event where people get together and develop
 awesome projects in a short timespan.

 I cannot stay the whole 24 hours, can I still participate?

 Of course! We realize that 24 hours is a long time, and that some
 people might have other commitments or even want to shower or
 sleep. We do strongly encourage you to be present for the initial
 few hours during the startup demos, and for the final few hours
 for the presentations and judging.

 Will there be prizes?

 Yes.

 Who are the judges?

 We'll be asking the startup representatives to judge the
 projects, but don't worry - there will be at least one "people's
 choice" award.

 Will there be free food?

 Yes.

 Can grad students participate?

 Yes! Any NYC-area student is welcome.

 What if I don't know how to program?

 If you come willing to learn and full of ideas there will be
 people eager to teach you what you need to know and put you to
 work.

 Do I have to bring my own laptop?

 Yes; unfortunately, we cannot provide computers. Please bring
 anything you'll need to code (though it's fine if you share equipment
 with a teammate).

 I'm not a student anymore, can I still participate?

 Sorry, this hackathon is limited to currently enrolled
 students. Why don't you check out BarCamp NYC 5 instead?

 OMG hacking?!

 Please note that all hackNY hacking will be of the awesome

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_%28programmer_subculture%29
  [page was last modified on 1 April 2010 at 00:03]

 variety, not the evil

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_%28computer_security%29
  [page was last modified on 31 March 2010 at 22:04]

 variety. Students interested in learning how to create and
 develop with code are welcome! Parents interested in learning how
 to log into their kids' Facebook account need not apply.