[islandlabs] HP is copying makerbot

john abella john at abella.net
Tue Apr 20 21:08:11 EDT 2010

The cost for materials refills on all of the stratasys products are
unbelievably expensive.  Even if the box cost $1,000, nobody would be able
to afford the materials on a hobbyist level.

(I know the cartridges on some of the larger models are on the order of $250
for 3lbs of material -- vs $45 for 3lbs on a MakerBot)

Clearly we're talking vast differences in print quality and ease of use --
but it's a big difference in price.

MakerBot #1136, Batch 13 arrived down at my folks today.  I'll start
building it this weekend.

John A.