[islandlabs] Arduino audio detection

Burns, William burns at cshl.edu
Tue Apr 27 21:34:49 EDT 2010

Wow.
Thanks for posting the code sample, and the waveforms.

I never thought of using amplitude to get an angle. I was always
thinking of using the delay between signals.
I guess an arduino could endlessly copy stereo sound into a 1-second
revolving buffer, and then if  a clap is detected, the arduino can stop
recording, and spend as much time as it needs analyzing what's in it's
buffer to determine a delay/phase_difference.
Still, accuracy may be poor.

I don't want to overstate my expertise (it's minimal)
I haven't connected a microphone to an arduino, I've never worked w/
FFTs, and I don't know if they're commonly available on/for the arduino.

The one thing I think I could handle easily is the math that determines
the parabola that a sound source would be on, given the time difference,
and distance between received signals.

You've worked w/ DSPs? Do you think there's one that would be easy to
write code for, and that wouldn't require a lot of hardware support
(like a microcontroller?)

-Bill