jedahan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 03:09:52 EDT 2010
I still have the phone and will not be able to go anywhere until late
afternoon. I will leave the phone in my mailbox though so anyone can pick it
up for integration.
On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Joe <toolfox at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, August 13, 2010 12:29:18 pm Burns, William wrote:
> > Jonathan/Joe:
> > What does the weather forecast say?
> I ran a few balloon trajectory predictions with the new Cambridge
> Right now, the best balance between getting to a launch site, finding a
> site that fits our requirements, and has decent BoostMobile coverage
> in Liberty, NY and lands outside Walkill, NY...about 15 km (8 miles) NW of
> Newbergh. There are some spotty cellphone coverage areas in the flight
> but we'll be too high to care at those points.
> More important is that coverage is good to excellent at the landing site.
> This can all change radically in the next 12 hours. The Sunday weather
> for Liberty, NY is partly sunny with highs in the low 80s and 5 mph winds
> the south (the initial track moves north, which bears this out).
> ...there is a *thunderstorm* front moving in Sunday night!
> Now this doesn't mean we necessarily have to scrub. Nevertheless, it
> mean the following (and you can tell that I'm serious because I'm using
> WE NEED TO LAUNCH EARLY IN THE MORNING BEFORE WE GET CAUGHT UP IN THE STORM
> FRONT. BY NOON, WE NEED TO BE AT APOGEE AND HEADING FOR TERRA FIRMA. THE
> LONGER WE WAIT IN THE DAY, THE WORSE THE WINDS WILL BE!
> To make this work, we MUST assume some things will go wrong (e.g., someone
> will get lost, some critical piece of equipment will fail and need fixing,
> someone will hit traffic, etc.). Something always does. So we MUST allow
> time for the wrongs to get righted. Even if that means waking up at
> hundred hours" in the morning.
> To that end, I am proposing the following schedule:
> To be on the way down by noon, we must launch by 10:00
> To launch at 10:00, we must start setup by 9:00 with a FULLY INTEGRATED
> payload ready to switch on, and ALL strings needed for this launch cut to
> length and/or attached and an accurate weight for trajectory calculations.
> This includes any temporary safety harnesses. There should be no need
> whatsoever to be measuring and cutting any string on the launchpad.
> Once the payload is integrated and weighed, it is now considered LOCKED
> There will be NO last-minute "Hey-what-if-we..." ideas.
> To be at our launch site by 9:00, we must be at the rendezvous point at
> The rendezvous site will be the Sloatsburg Travel Plaza at Milepost 33 on
> NYS Thruway. It is located between exits 15A (Suffern) and 16 (Woodbury).
> GPS coordinates are 41.15128 N by -74.18817 W.
> At 8:00, I will connect to the Travel Plaza's wifi hotspot and do a
> calculation, along with BoostMobile coverage and satellite images of the
> launch and landing terrain. I should be able to have a determination by
> to 8:15, at which time we pack up and head for the launch site.
> Tomorrow morning, I will deliver the payload, capsule, and parachute to
> at his house for integration, unless he feels that Lori's house would be a
> better choice.
> If I don't get any messages by 10:00 tomorrow as to where to deliver the
> payload equipment, I will consider the launch a scrub.
> If the payload is not fully integrated and ready for switch-on in
> Sunday morning, I will consider the launch a scrub.
> I'm sorry to come off as such a hard-ass about this, but we goofed off for
> months and now we're out of time. Pulling all-nighters at the last minute
> might work for software development or college courses. If so, then
> congratulations: we're now "pulling an all-nighter."
> No, I'm not having any fun, either. Everything comes at a price. This is
> price of waiting until the last minute.
> List mailing list
> List at islandlabs.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the List