dawndoll31 at aol.com
Sat Aug 14 12:25:32 EDT 2010
We have 2 tanks FULL with helium - small and t-size.
Send us your address asap so we can pick up the payload and weigh it with the phone to get final payload weight.
Sent from LP's iPhone
On Aug 14, 2010, at 11:14 AM, Lori Poletti <dawndoll31 at aol.com> wrote:
> We'll pick up the phone this afternoon. Please send us your address.
> Sent from LP's iPhone
> On Aug 14, 2010, at 3:09 AM, Jonathan Dahan <jedahan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I still have the phone and will not be able to go anywhere until late afternoon. I will leave the phone in my mailbox though so anyone can pick it up for integration.
>> - Jonathan
>> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 2:46 AM, Joe <toolfox at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Friday, August 13, 2010 12:29:18 pm Burns, William wrote:
>> > Jonathan/Joe:
>> > What does the weather forecast say?
>> I ran a few balloon trajectory predictions with the new Cambridge University
>> Right now, the best balance between getting to a launch site, finding a landing
>> site that fits our requirements, and has decent BoostMobile coverage launches
>> in Liberty, NY and lands outside Walkill, NY...about 15 km (8 miles) NW of
>> Newbergh. There are some spotty cellphone coverage areas in the flight path,
>> but we'll be too high to care at those points.
>> More important is that coverage is good to excellent at the landing site.
>> This can all change radically in the next 12 hours. The Sunday weather report
>> for Liberty, NY is partly sunny with highs in the low 80s and 5 mph winds from
>> the south (the initial track moves north, which bears this out).
>> ...there is a *thunderstorm* front moving in Sunday night!
>> Now this doesn't mean we necessarily have to scrub. Nevertheless, it *does*
>> mean the following (and you can tell that I'm serious because I'm using caps
>> WE NEED TO LAUNCH EARLY IN THE MORNING BEFORE WE GET CAUGHT UP IN THE STORM
>> FRONT. BY NOON, WE NEED TO BE AT APOGEE AND HEADING FOR TERRA FIRMA. THE
>> LONGER WE WAIT IN THE DAY, THE WORSE THE WINDS WILL BE!
>> To make this work, we MUST assume some things will go wrong (e.g., someone
>> will get lost, some critical piece of equipment will fail and need fixing,
>> someone will hit traffic, etc.). Something always does. So we MUST allow extra
>> time for the wrongs to get righted. Even if that means waking up at "oh-dark-
>> hundred hours" in the morning.
>> To that end, I am proposing the following schedule:
>> To be on the way down by noon, we must launch by 10:00
>> To launch at 10:00, we must start setup by 9:00 with a FULLY INTEGRATED
>> payload ready to switch on, and ALL strings needed for this launch cut to
>> length and/or attached and an accurate weight for trajectory calculations.
>> This includes any temporary safety harnesses. There should be no need
>> whatsoever to be measuring and cutting any string on the launchpad.
>> Once the payload is integrated and weighed, it is now considered LOCKED DOWN.
>> There will be NO last-minute "Hey-what-if-we..." ideas.
>> To be at our launch site by 9:00, we must be at the rendezvous point at 8:00.
>> The rendezvous site will be the Sloatsburg Travel Plaza at Milepost 33 on the
>> NYS Thruway. It is located between exits 15A (Suffern) and 16 (Woodbury). The
>> GPS coordinates are 41.15128 N by -74.18817 W.
>> At 8:00, I will connect to the Travel Plaza's wifi hotspot and do a trajectory
>> calculation, along with BoostMobile coverage and satellite images of the
>> launch and landing terrain. I should be able to have a determination by 8:10
>> to 8:15, at which time we pack up and head for the launch site.
>> Tomorrow morning, I will deliver the payload, capsule, and parachute to Bill
>> at his house for integration, unless he feels that Lori's house would be a
>> better choice.
>> If I don't get any messages by 10:00 tomorrow as to where to deliver the
>> payload equipment, I will consider the launch a scrub.
>> If the payload is not fully integrated and ready for switch-on in Sloatsburg
>> Sunday morning, I will consider the launch a scrub.
>> I'm sorry to come off as such a hard-ass about this, but we goofed off for two
>> months and now we're out of time. Pulling all-nighters at the last minute
>> might work for software development or college courses. If so, then
>> congratulations: we're now "pulling an all-nighter."
>> No, I'm not having any fun, either. Everything comes at a price. This is the
>> price of waiting until the last minute.
>> List mailing list
>> List at islandlabs.org
>> List mailing list
>> List at islandlabs.org
> List mailing list
> List at islandlabs.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the List