[islandlabs] Future Meetings?

Burns, William burns at cshl.edu
Wed Aug 25 12:12:13 EDT 2010

With the meeting room?
Jonathan will have access to the office through the fall.

Re: the payload:
The payload was lost.
We launched from a location that had no cell coverage, and (though it
was working w/ instamapper the day before) we never got a signal from it
after it launched/landed.
There were clear markings on the side of Tunacan II, and a phone number
for people to call if the payload is found.

So.. We have no phone to launch with this weekend.
That puts us out of the hackerspaces in space competition.

We had the idea of testing the ascent rate of a balloon by releasing it
on a very long tether, and measuring how long it takes the balloon to
reach the end of the tether.

We ?relearned? the lesson about not launching from a location without
cell coverage, but I think we've given up on that 'cause boost-mobile
coverage isn't available in most of the places we'd want to launch from.
Opinions? Did we do that part wrong, or not?

So.. for the next step...

Joe built a cool 555 based intervalometer for the keycams. We should try
to document that design, and put it online in case anyone wants to
duplicate it.

I've got a microcontroller based intervalometer breadboarded, and in
testing.

Joe has most of the components of an APRS system. (he still needs a
radio transmitter)

Jay found an interesting "$5" (probably exaggerated low dollar figure)
non-APRS transmitter that can built from discrete components, and can
(paired with a microcontroller) transmit morse code. We believe we can
get/build a very cheap microcontroller based system that will transmit
air pressure (a.k.a. altimeter) data via morse, which (if we have very
good/reliable receivers) should allow us to compute our rate of ascent,
our burst time, and our rate of decent.

We have a nearly full T-size helium tank.
We have a pressure gauge for it too.

So.. lots of good possibilities for future launches.

-Bill

APRS iphone app:
http://n5fdl.com/davids-blog/2009/11/9/ibcnu-first-must-have-ham-iphone-
app.html
Radiometrix FM transmitter: (available in 144.390 Mhz APRS flavor;
300mw; advertized 10km range, modified to 600km) Part number:
HX1-169.390-3 http://www.radiometrix.co.uk/dsheets/hx1.pdf
<http://www.radiometrix.co.uk/dsheets/hx1.pdf>

Micro-Trak 300 used w/ Radiometrix HX1 in balloon application
http://bear.sbszoo.com/construction/traker/utrak1.3/utrak-V1-3.htm
<http://bear.sbszoo.com/construction/traker/utrak1.3/utrak-V1-3.htm>

radiometrix (non APRS?) paired recievers and transmitters
http://www.radiometrix.com/node/348