[islandlabs] Low Pass Filter for the $5 Transmitter

Burns, William burns at cshl.edu
Thu Aug 26 18:32:22 EDT 2010

Jonathan:

I'm not sure I follow your capacitor logic but:

If you put a capacitor in series, it acts as a high-pass filter
(blocking low frequencies)
... but we're looking for a low-pass filter, so I was wrong to think
there would be a capacitor in series ...

I you put a capacitor in parallel (across 2 wires in a differential
circuit, or between signal and a ground reference) it would act as a
low-pass filter because the higher frequencies would be short-circuited
through the capacitor.

re: filtering out lower frequencies:
It's certianly possible to filter out low frequencies, but we have no
need of that, since all the harmonics would be higher that our primary
frequency.
AFAIK, there should be be no lower frequency noise to filter out.

Re: enclosures:
I noticed that the filter was built in a box made of double-layer PCB.
I assume this acts as shielding, preventing signal from escaping from
our circuit before it reaches the filter...
That would mean that we'd also want to put the signal generator inside
the shielded box.

Is that right?

Opinions?

-Bill