[islandlabs] Launch Date?

Kuczewski, John jkuczewski at bnl.gov
Wed Feb 10 11:56:55 EST 2010

Hey all,

ATM, I have working the start of the power management stuff, reading the +5V rail and monitor for any drastic changes. The rest of the logic to shut down some core components will be implemented later, after I get the rest of the sensors. It is speaking EIA RS-485 and can be controlled via this interface, as long as the commands are in the jump table. I'm also reading 1-wire temperature. So I send it a command and it spits back to me a answer via RS-485. Later it will have a task list and will only send out data via RS-485 (can be changed to RS-232).

TODO:
 o Buying the rest of the sensors and start talking to them.
 o APRS TNC*
 o Talking to the GPS, tonyb has it IIRC.
 o Writing to SD via SPI.
 o Extensive testing/debugging.

Now, as for the TNC, I would need help with that. For our purposes, it needs to be all configured on the fly and not just limited to GPS. The pre-built ones seem very limited in that you can only do GPS and you can only have one comment send which is pre-programmed. I would like something that is very literal. You send it a string via UART or other means, and it creates a APRS packet from what you sent it, then converts it via some basic modem (on or off the micro, it doesn't matter) to what would then be connected to the radio. Almost like a KISS TNC. Here is even more of a trick, it must fit within our power budget and must be within a reasonable form factor. Maybe someone would like to be in charge of building one from scratch or buying one that needs to be built that does what we want. It needs to be able to transmit weather, location and general messages. The general messages would be used to monitor the overall health of the micro and how much power is being used... etc. It can be two-way but one-way is just fine for our purposes.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I will work on it more today because work is closed and classes are canceled.

Cheers