[islandlabs] new arduino datalogger will be out in a week, might be nice for the balloon and easy enough to integrate

John Kuczewski jkuczewski at bnl.gov
Wed Jan 13 13:39:15 EST 2010

On 01/12/2010 05:04 PM, Burns, William wrote:
> > $35 for a "bare board"?
> > Awesome price, but does that mean we have to wave-solder our own chips
> > to it?
> >
> > w/ A built in I2C bus, we could connect any I2C sensors. 1-Wire is way
> > more common for that kind of thing...
> > Who has time to look up decent I2C compatible sensors?
> >
> > http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/datasheet/Seeeduino_Stalker.pdf
> >
> > Possibly Johnathan's bus-pirate could be used to interface w/ a 1-wire
> > bus.
> > The more componenets, the more cold-hardened 5-volt power supplies we'll
> > need.
> > I wonder what all this will weigh.
> >
> > I also wonder if I'm underestimating the weight of a bedsheet
> > parachute...
> > Hopefully we can test a scaled-down parachute tomorrow.
> > I don't have string yet. Does anyone have kite string?
> >
> > -Bill

Hey guys,

Why can't we look into buying a cheap, low voltage microcontroller with
UART and setup a Serial Peripheral Interface Bus (SPI) [1]? I feel that
I2C has more overhead than SPI and for just a handful of devices won't
be worth it. It takes less instructions, less power, less circuitry.
IMO, SPI is simpler in both programming and hardware setup.

On a side note, you can even buy cheap GPS chipsets that talk over
serial. I don't know the power specs, but I'm sure it would last the
voyage of the balloon.

I would love to fit a micro to measure and log (maybe via wireless,
report back to Earth with the data on a given interval) humidity,
temperature, wind, barometric pressure and some accelerometers (in the
X-Y-Z planes), but again I don't know the power specs we are dealing with.

Anyway, it's just a thought.

Cheers,

John

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Peripheral_Interface_Bus