[islandlabs] Learning to program

Jonathan Dahan jedahan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 22:49:20 EDT 2010

Here are some (free,online) resources I recommend (in order) for learning
how to program.

http://mislav.uniqpath.com/poignant-guide/
<http://mislav.uniqpath.com/poignant-guide/>'Why_' teaches slowly,
thoroughly and entertainingly. Some may not like that its long and meanders
a bit, but he teaches important concepts that can be carried over to many
modern languages and is a good introduction that sets up best practices
(like debugging, introspection and testing). ++ for cartoon foxes.

http://filer.case.edu/srj15/processing_tut/
http://processing.org/learning/
<http://processing.org/learning/>These tutorials provide what
commodores/amigas/anything with basic used to - direct visual feedback of
what you are doing. Its a safe environment that still lets you experiment
and learn some neat 'what can I do with programming?'

My mind is a bit melted right now so I'm missing some big names (and
dead-tree introductions), but should be a good general start.

- Jonathan