[islandlabs] Learning to program

Lee Jian Yet jianyet_406 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 11:18:50 EDT 2010

Thanks a million man.

From: jedahan at gmail.com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:49:20 -0400
To: list at islandlabs.org
Subject: [islandlabs] Learning to program

Here are some (free,online) resources I recommend (in order) for learning how to program.
http://mislav.uniqpath.com/poignant-guide/'Why_' teaches slowly, thoroughly and entertainingly. Some may not like that its long and meanders a bit, but he teaches important concepts that can be carried over to many modern languages and is a good introduction that sets up best practices (like debugging, introspection and testing). ++ for cartoon foxes.

http://filer.case.edu/srj15/processing_tut/http://processing.org/learning/
These tutorials provide what commodores/amigas/anything with basic used to - direct visual feedback of what you are doing. Its a safe environment that still lets you experiment and learn some neat 'what can I do with programming?'

My mind is a bit melted right now so I'm missing some big names (and dead-tree introductions), but should be a good general start.
- Jonathan