[islandlabs] FW: Island Labs / ICON Updates

Joe toolfox at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:37:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 20:31:02 -0700 (PDT)
jfp <jfp_1999 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> As far as I'm concerned it should say "Build Your Own Robot Army".
> Guests Appearing:  "Island Labs"

I agree. Why didn't we give them that information before?

> And we should have a bio page on there like any other group (
> http://www.iconsf.org/dockingbay.php for example ).

Agreed. Again, why didn't we give them that information before? I did
suggest it at the start.

> Here is a re-summary of what is currently on (and not on) the
> schedule (complete with spelling errors):
>

> 2HR: Intro to Linux: Theory; Intro to Linux: Practice
> ?????????????????????????
> Intro to Free Computing
> Saturday from 11:00am until 12:00pm
> SAC 303
> How to get started using Linux and be a real geek. What it is, how to
> get it up and running (not too hard now-a-days)
> Guests Appearing:
>     Dr. Gorden C. Cooke III
>     Izaac Falken
>     Vince Collura
> ?????????????????????????

This entry is NOT us. The three individuals are a career military
engineer and two hackers (as in 2600 Magazine-style hacking -- the
impression I get from their bios).

I won't know until I actually hear their talk, but I have the suspicion
that their approach might be aimed toward the power-user minority. Our
approach -- which I think might not have been stressed to the track
coordinator -- is toward the average computer user/general public.

Perhaps they submitted their proposal first. Perhaps they've got more
of an "in" with I-CON. Sadly, I doubt the con would let us do a SECOND
Linux talk.

Shit...

Joe