[islandlabs] hacker space

Burns, William burns at cshl.edu
Mon Aug 15 21:55:03 UTC 2011

Helio:

Sorry about the website being down.

The turnout at Island Labs meetings has been low lately, but we've been meeting every wednesday at 8:00pm on Farmingdale Campus: Whitman building, room 251.
http://www.farmingdale.edu/quicklinks/IFS_Map_of_Campus.html
The next meeting is the 17th.
"Please note that there is construction taking place on campus. You'll have to stop at the public-safety office to announce that you're on campus for a meeting, and that you'll need a parking pass."

I don't know what you know about Island Labs already...

Weather ballooning is our one big/active project right now.
We've done 2 weather-ballooning presentations for a private school.

We like arduinos.
http://www.arduinoeducation.com/
http://electronics.flosscience.com/
So do the people at this (more active) hackerspace:
http://www.nycresistor.com/

We're also doing HAM radio training which (depending on who's at the meeting) could take most of our meeting time.

re:
Science demonstrations:
Recently at I-Con, we did a "kitchen science" demo including a fire tornado, a pulsejet engine, an electrically illuminated pickle, and *almost* got a cloud chamber working.

I'd be glad to share details of any/all of these projects with you.
There's a lot of information on youtube as well.

Are you familiar with Dr. C. V. Krishnan of Stony Brook?
http://www.iconsf.org/archive/icon23/sci_tech_chem_magic.htm
As I recall he charged about $200 for expendable supplies, but his show was amazing.
Unfortunately, he's no longer doing his chemistry magic show at I-Con, but he may be willing to talk to an educator like yourself since promoting an interest in science was a big focus of his.

"chemistry magic show" is a great search phrase on youtube, by-the-way.
So is "Steve Spangler science".
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=steve+spangler+science

I'd recommend attending Maker Faire NYC.
http://makerfaire.com/newyork/2011/
It'll be held September 17th+18th at the New York Hall of Science, which is an interesting place by itself.
I could easily spend 2 full days there.

Please let me know if you think you'd like to do a demo of your own at I-Con, or if there's a topic you'd be interested in speaking about.
I'm sure the crowd there would appreciate an update on activities at BNL.

-Bill