[islandlabs] hacker space

Helio Takai takai at bnl.gov
Tue Aug 16 11:38:04 UTC 2011

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply and very interesting links.

Apropos ICON, I have been doing demos at ICON in the past 3-4 years. It is called "The Physics Demonstration Show". Yes
it is lame...  I have built many cloud chambers and have two that I take to schools and other places. They work really well, so
I can help you there.

Weather balloon - do you mean taking pictures at high altitudes? I have done one flight with students and it is pretty cool.

I have seen Krishnan demos at ICON. I do demo shows at several places but mostly in physics, though it does include a bit
of liquid nitrogen, dry ice, but I stay away from explosions and loud noise. Mostly explaining about light, IR light, etc...

I work primarily as a particle physicist in the ATLAS experiment at CERN. I also have another activity which is to develop a
radar for the detection of ultra high energy cosmic rays. The latter involves a lot of teachers and students. The radar is a
parasitic forward scattering radar that can also detect meteors. This is one place I am interested in using Arduino, i.e. to control
an inexpensive FM receiver. Meteors seem interesting as it can probe the ozone layer at very high altitudes.

I wrote down the 17th on my calendar. If I am available I will stop by at your meeting at Farmindale.

Thank you again for your email and lets stay in touch. I am very interested in what you are doing, and it seems that
we have a lot of parallel effort going on.

Best Regards,

Helio