[islandlabs] hacker space

Burns, William burns at cshl.edu
Tue Aug 16 14:29:10 UTC 2011

Helio:

If the website was up, you'd be able to see some of our high-altitude pictures.
We followed the MIT/Icarus model and got good results on our first launch.
We're now trying to get a good launch weekend for our APRS-enabled payload w/ arduino-controlled cameras.

We tried a few cloud-chamber variants. Got a petri-dish version operating, but only once.
I'd be interested in finding a better (more reliable) setup.

We've been daydreaming about building our own (cheap) radio/transmitter from handwound inductors, etc. (as a replacement for the $70 handheld radio in our current payload)

There was one guy who showed-up at LILUG
http://www.lilug.org
with a demo of his computer-tuned HAM radios.
(he wrote the application that did the tuning, and he streamed audio over the internet for his demo)
He might be reachable on their mailing lists.

What kind of receiver would you be controlling with an arduino?
Would you be tuning the radio, or using it to process audio output?

-Bill