[islandlabs] Tonights Meeting

Burns, William burns at cshl.edu
Wed Jan 26 19:38:54 UTC 2011

I saw that today's planetarium outing was cancelled.
I assume that means that the StonyBrook meeting is back on (and hopefully Jonathan confirms that) but I can't make it today, so have fun everyone.

Here's something to think about though:
http://www.555contest.com/
Joe's intervalometer design would be a good entry.
FYI: the worlds most useless device is also 555 based.
Any other ideas?

If we want to get super-aggressive:
It'd be super-cool to build a primitive (4-bit?) CPU from scratch.
The 555 would be the sytem clock. We'd need it to drive a counter. (the program counter)
Then there would have to be a memory bus...
Is this possible for us? I don't know. Very very cool though.

-Bill

Interview with the inventor of the 555.
http://semiconductormuseum.com/Transistors/LectureHall/Camenzind/Camenzind_Index.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3vpu67uu28