[islandlabs] 555 info (MP3 Player?)

Burns, William burns at cshl.edu
Thu Jan 27 06:04:24 UTC 2011

Ok... Maybe a more achievable goal (compared to a 4-bit CPU) would be to make a 555-based audio player?
(somebody tell me if I'm completely insane)

Goal: Using 555s, Read an (SD-Card?) memory, and play audio.
Impossible? Maybe. But Maybe not.

The Bus Pirate can speak SPI protocol. So can SD Cards.
(So we can experiment with reading an SD right away)

Apparently, older SD cards (not SDHC) can deliver 1 byte at a time. (The read block-size can be set to 1 byte)
The SD card can run at just about any clock rate (0 to 25Mhz)

We'd have to push a few 48-bit commands into the SD-card to get it to start transmitting data.
(that might be a show-stopper)

If getting the SD-card transmitting data is too challenging, we could use an SPI EEPROM.

If we can push the serial data into 8 flip-flop/buffers, and then use the flip-flops to drive a resistor-"array" style D/A converter going to a speaker.. That's audio.

Hmm... or maybe a "normal" (parallel) eeprom would be easier.

SD card fits in floppy edge-connector!
http://uanr.com/sdfloppy/

Arduino code to read an SD-card via SPI (no library, no filesystem)
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/SDCARD
SD Card via SPI pinout
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/SDMMC

SD-Card's SPI Bus Timing and command set
http://elm-chan.org/docs/mmc/mmc_e.html
http://elm-chan.org/docs/spi_e.html
http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdcard/pls/Simplified_Physical_Layer_Spec.pdf
http://www.flashgenie.net/img/productmanualsdcardv2.2final.pdf

Using the Bus Pirate and SPI to drive Microchip's 23K256 serial 32K SRAM
http://hackaday.com/2009/03/02/parts-32kb-spi-sram-memory-23k256/
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/23K256_32K_serial_RAM

Last 2 circuits on page:
555-based flip-flop 1-bit memory
555-based Inverting Schmitt Buffer (NOT gate)
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm

Basic Digital Ripple Counter (with flip-flops)
http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/ripple_counter.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/bincount.html

555 analog tachometer
http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/devices/555-tachometer.htm
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/general-electronics-chat/29731-hello-im-new-electronic-circuits-how-do-i-get-info-electronic-tach-m-c.html

555 based Gauss Gun
http://www.free-circuits.com/circuits/miscellaneous/107/magnetic-gun

555 based PWM controller
http://www.nomad.ee/micros/pwm555.html
http://www.dprg.org/tutorials/2005-11a/index.html
555 PWM (requiring trigger)
http://freecircuitdiagram.com/2009/05/20/pulse-width-modulator-using-555-ic/

A PWM circuit could be driven by a digital potentiometer:
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/SPIDigitalPot

Using SPI to drive an AT25HP512, which is a 65,536 byte serial64K EEPROM
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/SPIEEPROM

Wiring a PIC to the 25LC160B EEPROM
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00909B.pdf
http://lokibear.com/embedded/ee3720/lectures/lecture13_spi.pdf

Using an AVR to read the Melexis MLX90129 via SPI
http://www.melexis.com/Asset/SPI_communication_with_the_MLX90129_DownloadLink_5683.aspx

TI TRF2443 EEPROM SPI Bus Timing
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ug/slwu064/slwu064.pdf

-Bill