[islandlabs] Balloon launch, etc

Burns, William burns at cshl.edu
Mon Jul 25 20:46:38 UTC 2011

Sean:
There is no max decent rate.
Our payload is supposed to do no permanent injury to a human in the event of a landing without a parachute.
(assuming a headstrike, and total parachute failure)

What we've been daydreaming about is a system that uses GPS (which we have to have anyway) along with an ardupilot glider to bring the payload back to a safe landing area. (possibly the launch site)
The idea would be to take an ardupilot, and combine it with a trackuino to send AX.25/APRS signals.
http://www.trackuino.org/

Using a glider to provide a controlled decent seems like adding a lot of complexity (relative to using a parachute) if we can't get more out of it. (though that might be a good first step on the way to controlled flight)

-Bill